Saturday, December 19, 2009

Insomnia

I guess the title "making bad choices during the day" would be more appropriate. I got mad at Henri because I thought he was being a dude, so I slept from 6-11 pm and now here I am. It's 3 am and I can't sleep and I have to wake up at 6:30 to go to work. Thus is life.

Today I worked at Emancipet for the first time in almost a year. They have moved into a new building and it is very nice. There is even hot water, which I am not quite used to yet. I keep just turning on the freezing cold and then remembering halfway through that I could be having a much more pleasant handwashing experience. Anyway, I had a point... I watched surgery for the first time since I had anatomy. It was really cool to acually know what was going on. I think it was my first true realization that I'm actually going to be a veterinarian in three and a half years. Working also reminds me of how amazingly dedicated the employees are. I understand that almost every vet tech job is going to be mentally and physically challenging, but an Emancipet tech has it a little more difficult. There is absolutely no down time, no time to catch your breath. Speaking with my new classmates, it was interesting to learn that some other clinics are not under this constant high stress environment. I can see why this would cause a high turnover rate for techs, but it also forges an environment where the staff that does work there does an amazing job and has a laudable work ethic. So kudos to you guys, because I'm not sure which is harder - vet school 5 days a week or Emancipet 4 days a week (which is considered full time). Y'all rock my socks off.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: